Tuesday, September 13, 2011

SNAP Stretching

For Day 2 of the SNAP Experience, I calculated my cost for the day's meal and I was surprised that even the little snacks can add up. I tried to stretch my grocery supply as much as I could today, which included spreading out my meals with longer gaps in between and drinking a lot of water.

When I was going grocery shopping I avoided buying flavored drinks or vitamin water, which I like to have on hand for a quick pick me up if I don't want coffee. Right now, I have to admit I have a little bit of a headache. I know it's not from not drinking enough water, but my work schedule.

I've been staying up late sewing for the last few nights I've been going to bed at 2 or 3am. Normally, I would have a midnight snack to stay awake for a few hours and last night being the first day of the SNAP Experience I did without it and stayed up until 3am and woke up at 8:30am this morning.

Not having just a little energy pick me up last night may have affected how I feel today. I also try to eat at least 1200 calories a day, because if I go below that the next day I get super hungry. I would have had a package of microwavable rice with my chicken dinner, but it cost $1.79 and opted not to have it to stay on track for the whole week.

Here is what I ate, I was surprised for eating all my meals at home I thought it would be cheaper than this.


Breakfast: -- Calories: -- Cost:
Coffee with Soy Milk -- 35 -- .40
1 can of Slim Rite -- 170 -- .80

Lunch:
1 & 1/2 servings of imitation crab meat ($1.99 a pack)2/3 serving of Cream Cheese --210 -- .79
Coffee with Soy Milk -- 35 .40

Snack:
String cheese -- 80 -- .49

Dinner:
Chicken with onions -- 175 -- $2.04
Broccoli -- 20 -- .13
1 Egg --70--.13

Snack:
Granola bar--170--.34


Total water intake 3/4 of a jug -- .59

Total Calories: 1025
Total Cost: $6.11

Would you like to know if you can live on a $29.00 food budget click here for more information.

The Arizona SNAP Experience is sponsored by the Arizona Community Action Association

2 comments:

sarajohnsonphotoblog.com said...

Wow Jenny! This is incredible! It really makes you think. Great job so far! Thank you for sharing your experience.

Jennyvi Dizon said...

Thank you Sara! This will help me keep motivated all week. My birthday is Saturday and the SNAP Experience ends on Sunday, I will see if I can be good through the end of the challenge and celebrate later : )