Saturday, February 2, 2008

Post From Monday, January 28, 2008


High School Reunions

After my high school teacher emailed me to congratulate me on the article that ran in the Arizona Republic's Sunday paper, I was so happy to hear that kind of encouragement from one of my mentors. But then I started thinking of how I was in high school and how my ten year reunion is coming up.

I was debating whether to go to my high school reunion in June, because I didn't feel comfortable about how I completely changed. In looks, in confidence and just overall changed for the better. And in a way, I'm afraid of people taking away what I've accomplished thus far, if they couldn't get passed how I use to be. It would be like high school all over again for me with the awkwardness of growing up permanently embedded in my mind. I was very shy and introverted when I was younger, not how I am now.

Isn't it funny how you can work towards your goals like I do and be so concerned about what your ex-schoolmates think of you. Could they see past the weight gain and how I only where glasses, instead of contacts now.

It's almost like most high school reunion related movies, in particular Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. Where they are someone else to try to impress people that didn't even pay attention to them in high school.

I don't know, I'm still debating. I know that following your dreams gets a lot of prestige and honor, but do I really want to try impress people all night. Especially, if I get caught up with how I look, it could ding my self-esteem for a night. I'd like to know what happens at these types of events and maybe that will help me judge whether to go or not.

No comments: